Home Economic Development Events Services Contact Us
W. A. Pace Park
Take exit 284 from IH35, go east on Thomas Arnold, cross Main Street, and continue on into the park.
This park was given to the people of Salado by John W. and Elizabeth Pace Hodges in honor of their parents, William Alexander Pace and Sarah Jane Hankins Pace, on August 16, 1936. Pace and his wife came to Texas from Virginia to farm. During the Civil War, Pace Park was a safe haven to Company G.
An ideal spot for family reunions, weddings, or just a family outing. Giant trees cover the grounds dotted with picnic tables built of natural, uncut rocks from the creek bed. A covered pavilion has ceiling fans, a fireplace, restrooms and electricity. The pavilion isavailable for rent. Click here for Reservation Agreement.
The play scape, just a few feet from the pavillion, will spark the imagination of the young, offering adventures in climbing, sliding, and swinging, to entertain the children for hours on end.
Salado is also known for its rippling creek, shallow and suitable for wading by all ages. Watchful eyes can bask in the shade of the Cottonwoods that hover over the picnic tables on the gently sloped shores.
Salado Creek and Pace Park were the state's first designated natural landmark. Wagon wheel ruts can still be seen in the limestone creek bed just north of the park, leftover from when Main Street was part of the Chisholm Trail. Across the creek rests the famous Tablerock, where sweethearts carved their names in stone.